Essentials Level 2: For RMT’s and Myotherapists
The Essentials Level 2: Advanced 2 day course builds upon the techniques taught in the Introductory course.
The course involves a combination of lectures and demonstrations, coupled with ample practical supervision to hone your dry needling skills.
Once you have successfully completed our GEMt Essentials Level 1 course, you may enter the Essentials Level 2 course
New to the advanced GEMt course is the use of the Sonosite Titan Ultrasound System. The integration of imaging techniques into the course enables detailed viewing of anatomy and a greater ability to teach safe and effective needling techniques. Ultrasound is used to define muscle boundaries and bony landmarks and visualise a local twitch response in-situ.
- Review and update of: research, needling safety procedures and precautions
- Further muscles covered in this course include: Piriformis, TFL and Deep Hip External Rotators, Lumbar Multifidus, Hamstrings, Pec Major, Biceps and Triceps, Adductor Brevis, Gracilis, Levator Scapula, Rhomboids, Lower Traps, Pronator Teres, Supinator, Forearm flexors/extensors, Tibialis Posterior and Anterior, Flexor Hallucis/Digitorum Longus, Peroneals and Popliteus
- Advanced techniques involving electrical stimulation
- Latest advances in myofascial trigger point research
- Advanced techniques using ultrasound imaging techniques to:
– Confirm needle placement within a 3D environment
– Show tissue response to needle insertion and manipulation, and view the local twitch response
Treatable Muscles After Completion
- Posterior Hip- Piriformis, TFL and Deep Hip External Rotators
- Lumbar Spine- Multifidus
- Posterior Thigh- Hamstrings and Ischial Tuberosity
- Shoulder- Pec Major, Biceps and Triceps
- Anterior/Medial Thigh- Adductor Brevis, Gracilis, Pes Group
- Advanced Cervical Spine- Levator Scapula, Rhomboids, Lower Traps
- Upper Extremity- Pronator Teres, Supinator, Forearm flexors/extensors
- Lower Extremity- Tibialis Posterior and Anterior, Flexor Hallucis/Digitorum Longus, Peroneals and Popliteus
- Case Studies and group directed revision
Online Learning Modules
GEMt dry needling courses begin with online modules for safety, theory, and anatomy. Access to the online learning platform is provided via email once you have completed course registration. Completion of the online modules is a requirements before attending the course, and you should allow sufficient time to complete them before the course starts.
Module 1: Anatomy involving
Anatomy slides of all muscles covered in course
Anatomy Theory test (up to 1 hour)
Total = 2-3 hours
- Participants must have completed the Essentials Level 1 Course.
- You must be a registered clinician with Professional Indemnity Insurance to enter this course.
- Course participants are required to act as subjects as required for the duration of the course.
- This course is not advisable for anyone who is pregnant (unless they are prepared to bring a friend willing to be needled on their behalf)
Contact Hours: 15
Myotherapy Association of Australia Accredited Course for 20 PD points (for Levels 1, 2 & 3 combined)
Endorsed by Massage and Myotherapy Australia for 20 CPE points (for Levels 1, 2 & 3 combined)