Essentials Level 1: For RMT’s and Myotherapists (2 days)
If you are seeking to expand your clinical skill set and clinical outcomes then our GEMt Essentials Dry Needling Program is exactly what you need.
This course will not only teach you how to dry needle but will update your anatomy and challenge your thinking on common and chronic clinical presentations.
The GEMT approach to Dry Needling is unique in that it combines the best of several models to obtain optimal patient outcomes.
Clinicians around the globe are flocking to this technique as they find it improves their clinical outcomes AND saves their achy wrists and thumbs!
Applicable for a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, including chronic pain and sporting injuries.
These modules have been put together specifically for RMT’s wishing to expand their skills in Trigger Point assessment and treatment. There is an online theory component, followed by a large practical component, with plenty of supervision.
Our promise to you is that you will feel confident and competent to start dry needling on Monday morning!
- Define trigger points, motor banding, and neurological presentations of neuromuscular dysfunction
- Review literature supporting efficacy and treatment rationale of TDN
- Instruct application of TDN for orthopedic and neuromuscular conditions
- Review anatomy of regions to be taught in the Dry Needling Essentials course
- Discuss safety
- Discuss indications and contraindications for treatment
Treatable Muscles After Completion
- The Hip- Glute Max, Med and Min
- Lumbar Spine- Longissimus and Iliocostalis
- Anterior Thigh- Vastus Lateralis & Medialis, Rectus Femoris and Adductor Longus
- Shoulder- Infraspinatus, Teres Minor & Major, Deltoid and Lat Dorsi
- Cervical Spine- Upper Traps and Nuchal Lines
- Upper Extremity- Brachioradialis, Extensor Carpi Radialis Longus & Brevis
- Lower Extremity- Gastrocnemius and Soleus
Online Learning Modules
GEMt dry needling courses begin with online modules for safety, theory, and anatomy. Access to the online learning platform is provided via email once you have completed course registration. Completion of the online modules is a requirements before attending the course, and you should allow sufficient time to complete them before the course starts.
Module 1: Safety involving:
Safety Section from the GEMt manual
Safety Video (23 mins)
Needling Demonstration Video (27 mins)
Theory test (up to 1 hour)
Total = 6-7 hours
Module 2: Theory involving
GEMt pain slides
Needle Theory Video (1 hour, 15 mins)
Neuro-myofascial Pain Video (19 mins)
Theory test (up to 1.5 hours)
Total = 7-8 hours
Module 3: Anatomy involving
Anatomy slides of all muscles covered in course
Video detailing Upper Limb and Lower Limb Assessment (15 mins)
Anatomy Theory test (up to 1 hour)
Total = 2-3 hours
Total all online modules approx. 15-17 hours
- Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT50307, HLT52015 or equivalent).
- You must be a registered clinician with Professional Indemnity Insurance to enter this course
- Course participants are required to act as subjects as required for the duration of the course.
- This course is not advisable for anyone who is pregnant (unless they are prepared to bring a friend willing to be needled on their behalf)
Contact Hours: 14
Myotherapy Association of Australia Accredited Course for 20 PD points (for Levels 1, 2 & 3 combined)
Endorsed by Massage and Myotherapy Australia for 20 CPE points (for Levels 1, 2 & 3 combined)